Monday, March 19, 2012

Nailpolish Palooza!


Anyone else love nail polish crafts like me? I bet there's a handful of you! It probably doesn't hurt that they're super popular on pinterest this month. ;) Regardless, I've always been a big contributor to the movement. I use the stuff for everything!

For those of you that are beaders, try spicing up those larger pieces with a pretty set of polka-dots or stripes. I find that it helps if you grab a set of nail art brushes and you can get them pretty cheap on eBay. I get mine from this seller: http://stores.ebay.com/lilyyangstore. Once it dries, spray it with a clear coat gloss finish available with most brands of spray paint. I'm a fan of Krylon though. This is the stuff I use: http://www.krylon.com/products/crystal_clear_acrylic/.

I like to get those wooden blocks from the craft section and drill holes into them to use as beads. It's always more fun to do it all yourself! And, guess what? You can paint craft blocks with nail polish! Just remember that it'll take a couple of coats for a good color, and it’ll need a sealant.
Keeping on the jewelry subject, if you have a piece of dull, metal jewelry, nailpolish is another great way to spruce it up. I’ve noticed that it looks best if it’s a smooth texture.

What else can you use nailpolish for? Try using it to do your nails! Ha. I joke. What a waste of the wonderful stuff ;) I like using it to spruce up bobby-pins. And let's not forget ribbon. It hardens on the fabric of ribbon, so it's super important to do this AFTER you've got your bows set in the shape you want. A bit of color here and there is fun and youthful. 

If you don't want to craft with the stuff, nailpolish is also skin safe. We used to do this in high school. Use your nail polish brush and paint a design on your body next time you tan. When you shower, just peel the sucker off and you've got a pretty little design in your tan! It's almost like inverted henna. I'm going to stress that I don't recommend coating yourself with large amounts of nailpolish. Don’t go all out. You might be causing yourself some harm there. I am NOT a doctor.

I’ve even used nailpolish to cover up small scratches in my furniture and things with hard plastic covers. If you do try to do something like that, try to test it out on something else first. Some nailpolish doesn’t brush on in the same color as it appears in the bottle.

Before any of you start using your nailpolish for any of these projects, I’d just like to say that I prefer the nicer stuff. It gives me better color, and it doesn’t dry out as quickly.

So, many different ideas! Anyone have anymore to share? Leave me a comment! I’d love to try them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment